Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Southwestern Quilt

My mother-in-law asked me if I would put together a Southwestern Quilt for her.
I was happy to do this. The assembly is easy.
I wanted to share one thing I learned the hard way. Since the pattern came with the understanding that an experienced quilter would be sewing it together there were no step by step sewing/assembly instructions.
The only problem I had initially was with the triangle strip on the ends...those black and gray alternating triangles.
What I needed to do was assemble the triangles like above, with a 1/4 inch margin for the seam. I wanted the points of each triangle looking sharp and perfect.

Notice the way the gray and black triangles are laid out. Look at the top edge of the fabrics.
On each end there is a tiny little triangle sticking out that extends beyond the edge of the opposite fabric.
THIS IS THE RIGHT WAY TO LAY THEM OUT AND SEW!

In the picture above, the fabrics line up edge to edge...
THIS IS THE WRONG WAY TO LAY THEM OUT AND SEW THEM TOGETHER!
If you do it like this you will have no seam allowance left and there will be no point to your triangles.

So, if you plan a nice strip of triangles make sure to save yourself some frustration and assemble them the right way the first time.